The aim of Mathematics in K–6 is for students to:
- be confident, creative users and communicators of mathematics, able to investigate, represent and interpret situations in their personal and work lives and as active citizens
- develop an increasingly sophisticated understanding of mathematical concepts and fluency with mathematical processes, and be able to pose and solve problems and reason in Number and Algebra, Measurement and Geometry, and Statistics and Probability
- recognise connections between the areas of mathematics and other disciplines and appreciate mathematics as an accessible, enjoyable discipline to study, and an important aspect of lifelong learning.
Knowledge, skills and understanding
- develop understanding and fluency in mathematics through inquiry, exploring and connecting mathematical concepts, choosing and applying problem-solving skills and mathematical techniques, communication and reasoning
Number and Algebra
- develop efficient strategies for numerical calculation, recognise patterns, describe relationships and apply algebraic techniques and generalisation
Measurement and Geometry
- identify, visualise and quantify measures and the attributes of shapes and objects, and explore measurement concepts and geometric relationships, applying formulas, strategies and geometric reasoning in the solution of problems
Statistics and Probability
- collect, represent, analyse, interpret and evaluate data, assign and use probabilities, and make sound judgements.
Values and attitudes
- appreciate mathematics as an essential and relevant part of life, recognising that its cross-cultural development has been largely in response to human needs
- demonstrate interest, enjoyment and confidence in the pursuit and application of mathematical knowledge, skills and understanding to solve everyday problems
- develop and demonstrate perseverance in undertaking mathematical challenges.
Around the school
PBL Relaunch BBQ
PBL Relaunch BBQ – Volunteers needed! Do you love to BBQ? Can you spare some time between 11:30-1:30 next Tuesday 18th February? Please email email@example.com ASAP and let me know of your availability to cook sausages for all our students, to help kick-off the PBL relaunch. BYO Read more
Year 1 Bake Sale for Drought Affected Communities
On Monday the 9th of December, Year 1 had a bake sale to raise money for drought and bushfire affected communities. There were lots of cakes donated so thank you to all those families. There was lemon cake, butter cake, cupcakes, jelly cups, butter filled macaroons, biscuits, sponge rolls, spring Read more